Friday 1 May 2015

Choosing Your A Levels

Around this time last year I was considering what A Level courses to study next year. 


There were some I was certain about and others that I had considered and been very uncertain about. 



Of course each teacher will try and persuade you to do their course but you need to make sure that you choose the right courses for you. 



There is considerably more work for A Levels and you spend a lot of time doing the same four subjects so you have to make sure that you really love them.



I know this may all seem obvious but it is easy to be swayed by what other people are doing and what teachers are recommending for you. It's difficult to narrow it down to 4 (or 5 if you're daring) subjects, especially if you have a wide range of interests. 



I've always known that I wanted to study English, but which English was the question!



English Literature or English Language?

English Literature is much more novel and poetry based, analysing texts and poems. Language is more to do with the spoken word, articles, analysing speech and why certain texts are written in certain ways. 
As I knew I wanted to go into journalism, I knew that I needed to understand the impact of language on an audience. But I also enjoy reading and throughout GCSEs I understood themes and ideas behind novels and analysing texts. 
In the end I went for the combined course in which you study half and half.. I love it. 
At AS Level we have studied 2 novels (The Lovely Bones and The Kite Runner) and a play (The History Boys). All of these books have been really interesting and easy to read and study because of it. (My exams are also open book unlike the English Lit exams where you have to remember the quotes!) 



At GCSE level I loved History. I found it really interesting and the facts were manageable and the content was reasonable. So therefore I thought it would be a good idea to carry on to A Level..



History..

Now, I'm not speaking for everyone..but I know many people will agree with me that AS Level History is not easy. The exam technique isn't too mind blowing, but the content is VAST. My experience of History in the past year reinforces the importance of my point that you have to LOVE your subjects. 
The History A Level is changing after this year so I don't know what next year should expect but my experience has been less than enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, I still find the subject fascinating, but the pressure of exams has massively reduced my excitement.



As my interest in becoming a journalist blossomed, I realised that I needed to understand how the economy worked and needed to become more in touch with the world outside of Netflix and YouTube..



Economics..

In many ways, Economics is logical. If you have a good sense of logic and an interest in how businesses and economies work then Economics will appeal to you. The course at AS is split into two, macro and micro economics (large scale and smaller scale). Once you've learnt a few of the basic concepts, everything else just fits into place. The exam consists of 6 questions and compared to the rest of my relentless essays is quite a treat! 




After I'd made these three solid decisions, I was unbelievably indecisive about my fourth. I loved Drama at GCSE and I seriously considered Theatre Studies. But then I discovered the subjects that you don't study at GCSE, this is where I discovered Psychology.



Psychology..

Studying Psychology has made me question my mental health an excessive amount of times. It has opened my eyes to so many possible explanations for what I do everyday. I thoroughly enjoy Psychology. It was a brand new subject that I'd never studied before I thought I'd give it a go! 



I have 4 school days left until my AS Level exams start. It's crazy how fast this year has gone! 



I think that most of all, it is really important to stay on top of your work and keep revising throughout the year.

Do as much of your homework in your free periods. You need breaks and having free evenings makes the weeks much more relaxed. 
I have done well to ensure that my work hasn't built up and that I've made all of my revision resources throughout the year which takes a lot of pressure off now. 


I AM EXHAUSTED. 



Soon all of my exams will be over and I can finally allow myself a proper break. SUMMER! 



Despite the emotional roller-coaster that this year has been I do not regret choosing the A Level pathway at all. 



Now come the beginnings of university applications...I'm sure I'll bring you all along on my endeavours! 



I hope this is helpful to anyone who is struggling to know what to do after GCSEs or anyone who's indecisive about subjects. If you want to know an honest opinion about any other subjects I could do a follow up post covering any more subjects with honest opinions from friends! 



'til next time, 

Hannah xo




No comments:

Post a Comment