Monday 26 June 2017

Lessons Of A Fresher




Well, it's been a while!

The last year has honestly been one of the scariest, most exciting, eye opening experiences of my life so far.

From crying for 2 1/2 hours on the car journey to Sheffield in September out of fear of the unknown, to crying for even longer on the way home a couple of weeks ago after spraining my ankle on my last night out- nice one Hannah- it has been a year I won't ever forget.

It's true that being a 'Fresher' is something that you will have never experienced before- unless you're one of my flatmates who is going to be a fresher again this September - jealous is an understatement.

You're away from home, surrounded by thousands of new people, places and opportunities. There are no rules, no one else to be responsible for and no one telling you what you have to do.

As I and many others learnt very quickly, these things can be a blessing and a curse.

Living in University Halls is something that I would recommend to everyone who wants to meet lots of new people, have all of their friends within a 5 minute walk away and and always be within 2 minutes of a pre drinks.

It is so surprising how quickly your little room becomes home. Once you find your routine and get to know the area, you get used to being away from home so quickly.

I haven't ever suffered with homesickness, I have always been confident being away from home- but I have to admit, a few weeks in the feelings hit me.

The best thing you can do when feeling homesick at uni is speak to the people around you. Everyone misses home- some more than others and in different ways- but everyones is in the same boat.

Once the homesickness had passed, I felt so comfortable living away from home that it often didn't cross my mind. I still missed my family but speaking to them over Facetime helped that!

So, if you're off to university this September, some of these points might give you a little insight into what being a Fresher is about!

10 Lessons Of A Fresher:

1. Be yourself- You have the chance to completely reinvent yourself however you want. No one knows you and this is your chance to leave behind everything that outlined you before. Your flat will get to know you pretty quickly too, so being yourself from the start makes that a lot easier!

2. Make your room yours- take plenty of photos and other bits and bobs from home that are in your room and pad your room out with your things. It will feel odd at first but once everything is in place the room will quickly become yours and it'll be very cosy.

3. Go to the Freshers' Fairs and see what things are on offer- even if you don't ever end up joining anything, go and see what there is to do. Joining a society was the best thing I did this year at uni and I regret not joining it earlier!

4. Set up UNiDAYS and NUS accounts and exploit the discounts whist you can- there is nothing better than a good discount, in my opinion. Especially when your budget allows for next to nothing as it is. If there is a deal on somewhere in your area- you will know about it.

5. Explore the city you're living in- I am so glad that I spent the time exploring Sheffield and getting my bearings. See what is going on in and around the city. Some of the best days were ones exploring new places and going on day trips.

6. 40% - 'nuf said. If you don't already know, you will do within the first few weeks of uni what this means, LIVE BY IT.

7. Don't feel rushed into sorting accommodation for second year- there are more houses than students. If you know who you want to live with and you can find a good place that everyone likes then its a good deal! But don't be rushed, you will feel the pressure but don't panic.

8. Say yes more- I don't mean give in to peer pressure. If there is an opportunity for a day or night out, a trip, an event, a job or volunteering opportunity- take it. What have you got to lose?! You'll meet new people, go to new places and that is exactly what going to university is all about (especially in first year).

9. You WILL make friends- unless you actively try not to, there is no way that it won't happen. Don't worry about not meeting anyone with things in common with you, thats what societies are for! And you're already on a course with a hundred people who like the same subject as you. I was lucky enough to make good friends with several people that I lived with and before you know it you get to know all of their friends too. You go from knowing no one, to seeing at least one person you know every time you leave the flat.

10. Don't wish it away- I can't believe how fast this year has gone. I can remember feeling sick to my stomach worrying about my A Level results and whether I'd gotten in. Now a whole year has gone by. WHAT.

The first few weeks will be hard, for a number of different reasons. I went to uni with the mindset that I would give it a good shot and knew that if it wasn't for me I could leave at any point. Thats what being young is about, giving it a go and seeing whether it works out for you.

So enjoy it! Make the most of it and be sure to take a lot of photos because these are the memories that you'll hold on to.

I hope you enjoyed this post!

If you have any more questions about uni & living away then let me know!

'til next time,

Hannah ox


No comments:

Post a Comment